An awesome remote support tool that is an essential must have for any IT professional.
photo credit: TeamViewer
Have you ever had that phone call from your non-tech savy friend? It goes something like this: "What happened?" "Um, I don't know. It just won't work.....can you just fix it?". Phone calls like this make IT pros around the world, cringe in their seats. Luckily, there are remote support tools like TeamViewer. It is a nifty tool that comes in handy in these situations and can make life so much simpler.
Remote support tools allow you to connect to your friend's device and take control of it temporarily. This takes the pain out of trying to walk them through what you are trying to do. Instead, it allows you to just be able to do it yourself, as the "built in tech support." As long as they have an internet connection, then you normally can connect and use a remote support tool. These are really useful, especially when you support people over long distances.
I've been, "the guy that's good with computers", for a long time for quite a few people. Something I'm very well acquainted with, are remote support tools. I've used about 80% of them on the market. Brands like Bomgar, Dameware, Logmein, Gotoassist; are all big players in the remote support field. My favorite, by far, is Teamviewer.
Teamviewer is extremely simple to use. For people that aren't technologically inclined, this is a huge plus. All users need to do is, navigate to the teamviewer homepage and download the TeamViewer client. Then, they give you the access code and password and you can connect! Could it be an easier?
Teamviewer is cross platform. This means, it will work on macs, computers, tablets and smartphones. Which makes it an extremely flexible and versatile remote support tool. TeamViewer has a ton of other useful features as well.
- Record Sessions
- Transfer Files
- One Touch Video Calls
- Share presentations
- Host online meetings
- Whiteboard- Sometimes an illustration is all you need to help with an explanation. With the abiliy to share with both sides simultaneously!
- Notes- Take notes in Real Time.
- Integration with Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox and Box- Sharing files with TeamViewer just got easier.
- Unattended Access Support- Gives you complete remote access for the remote device with no need of any interaction from that side.
- Spontaneous Support - People can request support and this generates a service case.
- Master Whitelist- Grant permissions to all devices with one whitelist.
- Central Setting Policies- Enables you to apply settings policies, distribute and enforce them all from the Management Console. All changes are immediatley applied across all of your installations.
TeamViewer offers two versions. One is the free version, but this is for non-commercial use only. The other one they offer, is a premium version for commercial use. Now, a lot of other companies offer "free" versions of their software, but many of these are trial versions. So, when the time is up, they lock you out unless you pay for their "premium" version. TeamViewer's free version is different. It is a fully functioning and a completely free version of their product.
I have been using TeamViewer for the past five years as my remote support tool of choice and I am a huge fan. All of the other remote support tools that I tried, were either too expensive, too complicated, or were just overkill for what I needed. TeamViewer has offered me all the features I wanted and for a great price. Don't just take my word for it, check them out for yourself here.
So what do you think? Are you a TeamViewer fan? If not, what is your favorite remote desktop support tool? Feel free to let me know in the comment section below.